I’ll try not to insult or offend you but I can’t promise anything….
Wednesdays are my day off,
I sped it doing something with the family,
But before I get up and get ready for the day I’ll usually have a scroll through my Facebook news feed, (I don’t watch any TV so it’s my way of keeping up with current affairs)
And you can guarantee that if there’s been a TV program on the night before that talks about either diet or exercise there’s usually a complete 50/50 split regarding the comments about it on my timeline,
They go something like this....
‘Utter BS again from the guys at channel [enter the channel the program was on].
This is the bit that might insult or offend you…
Forer comment is usually from the general public who are desperate to end their struggles when it comes to getting into shape but have no idea when it comes to the most effective, safest and ultimately best ways to do it,
Latter comment is usually from any coach or Personal Trainer or even nutritionist who’s worth their salt, isn’t out there just to make money out of people and does know how to get people into shape in the most effective, safest and ultimately best ways to do it.
Now you can say that I can’t possibly have an opinion on this because I NEVER watch any of these programs,
However my defence would be why do I need to waste hours of my precious time watching those programs when I know 99% of them are ultimately just designed and produced to sell you something (It’s all very incestuous at the top - most media companies are in some way linked to food companies and most food companies and media companies are linked to big pharma, and most food companies sell poor quality processed foods and most poor quality processed foods will lead to you developing some kind of disease or illness and most illnesses and diseases will require you to buy something from big pharma which by the way is the second biggest aka most profitable industry in the whole wide world, no that’s not a conspiracy and yes I’ll probably disappear after revealing all this too you, but I digress).
I don’t want to turn this into a rant or an attack on anyone out there because I believe we’re just all doing our best with what we have so if I can, let me share something that might help you while on your journey to deciphering the how to get into shape/improve your health code….
Secrets and facts from the industry that the media don’t want you to know…
1. 80% of dieters end up heavier in the long run than when they were when they first started dieting – conclusion: Don’t go on a diet.
2. If you eat more and move less there’s a VERY good chance you’ll end up unhealthy and overweight because subconsciously all your brain here’s is it’s ok to eat more and move less, which it (your subconscious) will then make you do (your subconscious RULES EVERYTHING)
3. Carbs will not kill you, protein will not kill you and fat will not kill you, as long as you’re eating a well-balanced diet where every meal you eat consists of a quality source of protein (fish, meat, eggs etc), healthy fats (olive or nut oils, avocado, nuts and seeds\, eggs, oily fish etc) and vegetables (Ideally green ones but any and all will do) you’ll be absolutely fine. And where do carbs and fruits come in? My personal recommendation to my clients is to keep them for refeed days aka cheat days and after workouts. It might not be what works for you but this approach helps my clients have more energy, improve their health and it can also help them strip away 1-2lbs of fat each and every week.
4. While we’re talking fat loss let me share with you the most single most powerful piece of information out there…….. Fat loss or as the TV and media like to label it ‘weight loss’ happens when ONLY 1 THING is true….. Calories in < calories out. And that’s it. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS. No pill, powder or potion is responsible for weightloss, no type of exercise or app will help you lose weight UNLESS you are in a calorie deficit. So if you do want to lose fat (you don’t want to lose weight. Don’t believe me? Ok say I chopped off your leg, there’s 2 stone gone already, happy now? Didn’t think so, so stop saying you want to lose weight and start saying you want to lose fat, that will change your mindset and results completely, I promise you) again I digress so let’s get back to it, if you do want to lose fat, go and download the MYFITNESSPAL app and follow the instructions, start there and come back to me when you want to get more specific (type and time of calories you’re consuming).
5. Companies solely focussed on making a profit will sell you what you WANT to hear, Trainers and coaches like me who genuinely want to help people (as well as putting food on the table for the kids) will tell you what you NEED to hear (like I’m doing now) which is why I’ll never be as rich as Joe Wicks aka The Body Coach, but it’s also why my clients will get infinitely better and longer lasting results than his will, and no don’t see this as a jealous attack on him, I actually like the guy, he’s fun, entertaining, VERY good looking and he’s getting people paying attention to what they’re putting in their bodies and how they’re moving, unfortunately he’s sending the wrong message to the masses who need to move MORE and eat LESS (the opposite to his message.
Now I did go into 3 more points but my computer crashed before I saved them and to be honest they were more rants than helpful tips for you so it’s probably a good thing I lost them.
Which means I’ll end with this..
If you truly want to put an end to your diet, exercise, body and health challenges then simply do this:
A) Eat a balanced diet of food that either comes out of the ground, the sea or the air.
B) Drink 2-3 litres of water a day nothing else (you wouldn’t water a plant or feed your dog coke-cola or Prosecco would you?
C) Invest in yourself and get yourself a 12 week weight lifting program from a coach who has the proven results you want with people like you. Not got the money to invest in yourself? Google search: 12 week weight lifting program, there are millions out there, just make sure you do the exercises with good form, any decent gym instructor will help you with that, usually for free for the first hour as well.
D) Sleep 7-9 hours a night.
E) Stop wasting your time watching programs on TV about diet and exercise and instead switch it off completely and connect with the people in your life. Not got people in your life then connect with yourself. (That’s a completely different post entirely so I’ll go into more detail on why that’s the BEST THING YOU COULD EVER DO FOR YOUR HEALTH AND WELL BEING EVER another time)
And F) Actually take action on what I’ve just said above, unless of course you enjoy the struggle and frustration of being out of shape and then in shape and then out of shape and then in shape and then out of shape and then in shape and then out of shape.
Said with love and with your health and fitness and wellbeing in mind.
Matt – Your Body Confidence Coach