A body that has the energy that helps you perform at the high level that you need to perform at day to day,
And a body that goes with your status - Powerful, inspiring, leadere-sque,
Now you might think the ONE WORD stopping you is TIME,
Because lets face it, when you work what feels like a billion hours a week,
AND have all those family and social engagements to attend,
It feels like TIME is the EXACT reason why you don't have that well respected, healthy and energetic body.
TIME, or lack of it, ISN'T the ONE WORD why you don't have a well performing body.
By the way the other words I hear often are:
Energy (lack of)
Knowledge and confidence (lack of when it comes to getting the biggest bang for your buck)
Support (Lack of from the other half)
Motivation (lack of)
And although you might THINK it's one, or maybe even all, of those words,
There's an even more powerful word that's in play here and it's royally screwing you over every time you engage in it.
Wanna know what it is?
I'll tell you a quick story and let's see if you can guess....
It was the 2nd of June and I'd just boarded the plane to New York with my dad (British Airways were incredible and I can't recommend them enough)!
Just before take off I was told to watch the safety demonstration on the screen in front of me.
If you've ever been on a plane you'll know exactly what they say...
''Exits are here, here and here, there's a life jacket under your seat and in the case of an emergency if smoke fills the cabin then an Oxygen mask will drop down from the panel above your head''.
Now what they say next is the best bit about the whole safety demonstration and it explains the exact reason why most people never achieve what they want when it comes to their health and fitness....
''Ensure that you fit YOUR mask FIRST before trying to help others with their mask''.
When was the last time you put yourself FIRST before tying to help others? (Your clients, staff or colleagues, your kids, your partner, maybe your boss or investors, that one pal who's life is always on the verge of collapse),
If you're anything like I was (and most of my clients before they came to me) I guarantee you can't remember the last time you put yourself first IN A GOOD WAY (I'm not talking about grabbing a beer after a long days work).
What's the word at play here?
The one word that's holding you back?
The one word that keeps you struggling to get into (and out of) your clothes?
The one word that's stopping you feeling good about your body?
The one word that's stopping you from performing at your best?
You might THINK your being SELFLESS by putting others first,
But in fact there's nothing more SELFISH that NOT putting yourself first!
Because what good are you to anyone if you're unhealthy? If you're unfit? If you're uncomfortable? If you have low to non existent energy levels? If you have little to no confidence?
Hell what are good are you if you're not even alive?
I'll tell you the truth here and this might sting a little but I'm telling you because I care...
You are NO GOOD to ANYONE if you're not fit, healthy, confident, energetic and alive.
OK you might be a little bit good to others right now while you're struggling along,
But to go back to the plane analogy for a second,
The smoke is filling the cabin and you're gunna pass out if you continue trying to fit everyone elses mask first!
What good are you going to be then?
You go from helping to hindering,
Which I know is something you DON'T want to do!
So it's time to strap that mask on my friend,
It's time to start taking care of numero uno!
And how are you going to do that with everything else that you do?
I knew you were going to ask that so here are my best PERSONAL tips to putting yourself first..
1. Get up 15 minutes earlier, drink a glass of water, do some deep breathing, stretch and write down 3 things you're grateful for.
2. Get to bed 15 minutes earlier, turn all tech off (get it out of your room if you can), drink a glass of water and write down 3 things you're grateful for. (Yes you've just lost 30 minutes out of your day but that moves us to number 3)
3. Set an out of office Email Auto responder that goes something like what Tim ferris describes in his 4 Hour work week Book and blog...
Greetings, Friends [or Esteemed Colleagues],
Due to high workload, I am currently checking and responding to e-mail twice daily at 12: 00 P.M. and 4: 00 P.M. .
If you require urgent assistance (please ensure it is urgent) that cannot wait until either 12: 00 P.M. or 4: 00 P.M., please contact me via phone at 07123456789
Thank you for understanding this move to more efficiency and effectiveness. It helps me accomplish more to serve you better.
4. Go for a brisk walk every lunch time (or at any time that you can schedule a 20 minute walk into your day), take a bottle of water with you and leave the phone in the office.
5. Bring in a regular exercise regime into your life (feel free to reach out to me here to see how you can make that happen without adding more stress into your life)
6. Write a list of the things you LOVE to do and schedule them into your diary at least once a month (once a week is the goal)
7. Write a list of all the things you DON'T love to do and either work on outsourcing them or just cut them out of your life all together, even if you've done this part already, take another overview of your life and do it again if you need to.
8. Book in a date night once a week, seriously the impact this has made not just on my relationship but on my business and life in general is incredible.
And that's it for now.
If that has helped you in anyway then please feel free to share the love by clicking one of the social media tags that are somewhere near this blog and I'd love it if you could leave a comment about how this has helped you and maybe what you'd like to see me write about in the future.
To your health and success,